The Yoga of Gazing™
Making meditation blissful, engaging and easy to do!
Do you want to be:
- Calmer, clearer and more confident in yourself?
- More empowered in work and social relationships?
- Easily deepening your intimacy with loved ones?
- Actively integrating your spirituality into everyday life?
The Yoga of Gazing™ is for you.
Eye gazing meditation is a simple yet profound way to get more out of life. Often referred to as ‘transfiguration’ in Christian cultures, meaning to see beyond the form, eye gazing meditation is both a time-honoured practice of spiritual development and also a biologically-inherent part of life. Eye gazing meditation invites us to relax into being deeply present with ourselves while we witness another opening to their depths as well. Such seeing and being seen, holding and being held in presence, is a yoga, a path of union with the divine.
Yoga of Gazing Workshops
The next Yoga of Gazing™ workshop is on 18th June 2017 in Melbourne. (And then on 24th September and 17th December 2017).
Whether you’re new to gazing, or have been practicing for years, I’m confident you’ll be enriched by this day of deep practice in a supportive environment. The Yoga of Gazing™ workshops involve:
• Simple embodiment exercises to support sitting meditations
• Talks about the art, science and traditions of gazing
• Guided eye gazing exercises to explore what works best for you
• Silent eye gazing meditations and closed eye meditations
• Eye gazing meditations with active verbal processing
• Group discussion of personal reflections on experiences
While eye gazing is simple to learn and practice – just try looking at yourself in the mirror! – we’ll be drawing from diverse lineages of practice to facilitate access to deeper states of meditation and explore the richness we find in the potency of group co-presencing.
Workshops are open to all regardless of age, belief, gender, ethnicity, religious or spiritual affiliation.
1on1 Gazing Sessions
Eye gazing meditation is inherently a 1-on-1 practice. While you can do it with anyone, including yourself in the mirror, gazing with an experienced practitioner can be very helpful at different times:
- Getting Started – Personal instruction in eye gazing meditation can help you get started in this simple and rewarding practice that will stay with you for life. It can be particularly helpful if the idea of eye gazing is confronting or if you’ve found initial attempts at eye gazing to be uncomfortable or even overwhelming.
- Getting UnStuck – Perhaps you’re new to eye gazing, perhaps you’ve been practicing for a while, but suddenly the heat is on and you’re having difficulty dealing with the content gazing is bringing up in your psyche. Congratulations! You’re doing it RIGHT! But might you want some help? The presence and guidance of an experienced gazer can greatly accelerate you thorough processing these difficult passages.
- Getting Mysterious – Eye gazing meditation can be a powerful catalyst for opening new depths in your being. Regular sessions with other experienced gazers can smooth the process, evoke more rapid awakenings, activate subtle potentials and quicken the deepening of your unique unfolding as the Mystery of Life.
Sessions are by appointment only, in person or via Skype, and usually last between 30 minutes and two hours. They cost $100 per hour.
Stacey Rhodes, Music Therapist, USA
Tim, Management Consultant, Washington, DC, USA
Bere, PhD Law, Germany
Weekly Meditations in Melbourne
[Organised via MeetUp, Awakened Living – Weekly Group Meditations are held in Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia.]
Eye gazing meditation, personal sharing and closed eye meditation.
The weekly drop-in meditation group begins with eye gazing meditation with each person present. After eye gazing, each has an opportunity to be deeply listened to as they share about their process of deepening into life (i.e., you are silently and actively listened to for a fixed time, and/or you can ask for input and support). Finally, everyone relaxes into a silent, eyes closed meditation for the last 20-30 minutes of the meeting.
Participation is continually optional: during eye gazing, you can close your eyes at any time; during personal sharing, you can choose to meditate, sing, dance, ask for hands on healing, etc – with the whole group’s safety in mind; and during the meditation, you can drift into as much thinking, sleeping, visualisation or imagination as you like! There’s no dogma to accept, no boundaries to push past, and no requirement to be other than you are.
The gatherings are held in Mitcham, Melbourne, starting at 7:30pm and finishing at 9:30pm. You are welcome to arrive from 7:15pm. Please confirm your attendance beforehand to ensure you can be notified if schedule changes occur. Unfortunately meet-up RSVP’s do not always reflect actual attendance.
This offering is by donation – offer what you can afford in what you feel to be fair value exchange. Suggested donation is $20.
The group is open to all – regardless of age, belief, gender, ethnicity, or religious or spiritual affiliation – provided:
- if you are under 18 years old, you have a responsible adult with you,
- if you require physical assistance or other medical care, you are able to arrange the support you need, and
- the facilitator considers you capable of participating in a self-responsible manner that is respectful and supportive of maintaining a safe container for all others present.
Book, Retreats & More
Embody the Heart with the Yoga of Gazing™
I’ve begun to formulate a detailed Yoga of Gazing™ that reaches back to antiquity and integrates the science of today. The first formal workshop on the topic was presented in August 2014, with subsequent day-long workshops occurring regularly since. Longer workshop formats and a book have been mapped out and are now in development. They will cover The Yoga of Gazing™, The Yoga of Eye Gazing™, The Yoga of Eye Gazing Meditation™, and The Yoga of Gazing Intentionally (YOGI)™. If you’d like to know more, please do get in touch.